zucchini tuna melts
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
you won’t the miss the bread one bit in these low-carb zucchini tuna melts
We are two weeks into our new school year, and aside from Stella getting LOADS of homework every night (I remember this from when Charlie was in 8th grade) we are all surviving the adjustment. Some of us better than others.
The getting up early every day is still a bit of a struggle, but surprisingly the post school football practice, homework, dinner routine is shaping up pretty nicely. Most likely because I spent the last few weeks of summer planning as many quick and easy meals as I could find.
This week was especially busy with parent meetings two nights and our annual football fundraiser this Friday. On busy nights we usually go for sandwiches, but some of use are trying to watch the carbs. That was when I decided to try my favorite sandwich – the tuna melt made with Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore but instead of bread I used zucchini.
It was SO good, I had one for lunch and then another for dinner. And this carb lover did NOT miss the bread one bit.
Hollow out your zucchini using a spoon, and then drizzle with just a bit of olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Roast the boats while you prepare the tuna. Because these get covered in cheese, I skipped the mayo and just used a squeeze of lemon juice, but feel free to make the tuna how you like it.
When the zucchini is done, fill the boats, add your cheese and pop them under the broiler just until the cheese melts. That’s all there’s to it. A healthy and delicious dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
zucchini tuna melts
- 4 medium sized zucchini (this is not the time to use your garden giants)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 -12 ounce can (or two 5 ounce cans) Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore
- 2 Tbsp diced shallot
- 2 Tbsp diced celery
- lemon juice
- 8 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- trim the ends of the zucchini, cut in half, and then crate a shallow channel down the center (a spoon works well for this)
- drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and roast for 10 minutes
- mix the tuna with shallots, celery, a squeeze of lemon juice, and then taste for seasoning
- divide the tuna evenly among your zucchini, add the tomatoes and top with cheese
- broil until the cheese is melted (1-2 minutes)
- sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired, and serve hot
I love my tuna melts with fresh herbs, and dill is what I use most often, but feel free to leave it out or add whatever you have on hand.
Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore has a firm texture (no one likes to eat mushy tuna), light color and fresh taste – making it the perfect ingredient to add almost any recipe, and it is a great source of protein.
Try one of Bumble Bee’s many mouth-watering recipes and discover for yourself why Only Bumble Bee Albacore Will Do™.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.