the best sandwich loaf + an old-school BLT
The best sandwich loaf and an old-school BLT
Week three of school, and I think we have a good rhythm going… finally.
Our evenings are pretty hectic with practices every night, and dinner is later than I’d like, but in order to keep our mornings a bit more relaxed, I prep breakfast and pack lunches at night.
Charlie is still really loving the high school cafeteria; he’s even branched out from pizza to orange chicken with rice. I don’t know about you, but we never had orange chicken and rice in our cafeteria. I brown bagged it practically every day.
Stella’s my brown bag girl, and prefers her lunches of the old school variety – sandwich, fruit, and veggies. If she’s lucky and Charlie hasn’t eaten them all, a cookie or two.
When the kids were younger, I would always slip a note, joke, or sticker in their lunches. Now that is SO un-cool. I can’t even write a name on the outside of the bag.
But with the new easy-to-squeeze bottle of Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, I can be oh so sneaky in my message writing.
With a new clean lock cap and precise tip, I can write a message on Stella’s lunch instead of in her lunch, and no one is the wiser. There’s less mess, less waste, and you can better control where the mayo goes.
Stella’s favorite back to ‘old’ school lunch is the classic BLT with avocado – she is a California girl after all.
I try to bake at least two loaves of sandwich bread a week, and this loaf is one of our favorites. It’s plain and simple, just perfect for a BLT.
Stella loves her BLT with two strips of turkey bacon, a few thick slices of heirloom tomato, romaine lettuce, avocado, and, of course, Best Foods Real Mayonnaise. You cannot have a BLT without the mayo.
Squeeze and Save with Best Foods Real Mayonnaise this back-to-school season #SqueezeMoreOut
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of very hot water
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle.
- Stir until combined and switch to the dough hook.
- Knead until you have a very smooth ball of dough – about 7 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled, about 90 minutes.
- Form the dough into a rectangle and fit in a well-greased loaf pan.
- Cover and allow to rise until the top of the loaf is about an inch over the rim of the pan — about 60 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake loaf 30 – 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes and then complete cooling on a rack.
- Loaf should be completely cooled before slicing.
Enjoy! And don’t forget to claim your $ .50 coupon from Best Foods Real Mayonnaise.