the best homemade blueberry muffins
as a kid, i would get so excited to see that tiny bright blue box of jiffy muffin mix on the counter. homemade blueberry muffins have always been a favorite breakfast treat of mine. my kids feel exactly the same way. only, most of the time stella complains that my muffins are not as sweet aka not as good as the ones from the bakery or store. they still get devoured immediately, but i am always on the look out for those recipes, like my english muffins, that get rave reviews from the kids. they are always the toughest to win over.
homemade blueberry muffins
i have been testing blueberry muffin recipes for months. some were more bread than muffin, and not nearly sweet enough even for me. other recipes yielded muffins that were overly sweet and definitely more cake than anything else. of course those were stella’s favorite. she loves her sugar front and center. these are perfectly in the middle. sweet but still acceptable for breakfast. with the addition of mashed berries in the batter,they are also unbelievably moist.
this recipe pulls inspiration from the best of the best. they are big, and sweet, and loaded with fresh blueberries. even better than that, these muffins are incredibly easy to make. do yourself a favor and make them tonight after dinner. then, tomorrow morning you can be enjoying delicious homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast.
simple blueberry muffins from scratch
homemade blueberry muffins
- 2 cups of ap flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus extra for topping
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup whole fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup mashed fresh blueberries
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin
- whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- in another bowl whisk the eggs and egg yolk, milk, butter, vanilla, and the mashed berries
- add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until everything is combined, then gently fold in the fresh berries
- spoon batter into the muffins cups, and sprinkle with sugar
- reduce the oven temperature to 400, and bake muffins 18-20 minutes - a pick inserted in the center should come out clean
- cool muffins in pan 10 minutes, then move to a rack
- make sure muffins are completely cool before storing
as with most baked goods, these muffins are best eaten within a day or two. i always bake mine at night for the next days’ breakfast. stella loves to take a muffin in her lunch. i always send some to work with ian, but we usually end up with extras.
to keep your muffins fresher, longer, make sure to package them properly. first, before packing them up, make sure your muffins are completely cool. any warmth at all, and they will get soggy in their packaging.
once cool, line your container or seal-able plastic bag with a layer of paper towel. add your muffins in a single layer. then, top with another paper towel. the paper towels will soak up any extra moisture. this means no mushy day old muffins.
to keep your muffins for more than 3 days, think freezer. wrap your cooled muffins in foil or freezer paper , and place them in freezer bags. thaw your muffins at room temperature and warm them in the oven before serving. muffins will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
as much as we love a crumb or streusel topping, these plane jane homemade blueberry muffins are simply the best! do yourself a favor, and make these tonight. then you too can be enjoying blueberry muffins for breakfast tomorrow.
more blueberry recipes to love