super sloppy joes
Thank you Vanity Fair® Napkins for sponsoring this post. Take on everyday messes with Vanity Fair® Extra Absorbent Napkins!
just as fast and and easy, these super sloppy joes are SO much better than the can.
coming from buffalo, ny, most people i know dream of hot summer days and warm evenings. now being a california girl, i happen to prefer cool fall days, and even colder winter nights. i love sitting by the fire or getting all bundled up to take the dogs for their evening walk. the best part of winter in my opinion are cold weather comfort meals like soup, stew, casseroles and a blast from the past sloppy joes.
as a kid, our sloppy joes came from a can. we didn’t care one bit. sloppy joes are delicious. we got to eat with our hands, and the mess is really part of the fun. we loved sloppy joe night.
these homemade sloppy joes are every bit as fast and easy as a canned version, which is a must for us now that basketball season has kicked into high gear. they have the same flavor you remember, without any of the “funky” ingredients. and trust me, they are every bit as messy, maybe even more so. luckily, Vanity Fair® Extra Absorbent Napkins are up to the sloppy joe mealtime challenge
How To Make Sloppy Joes
super sloppy joes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 ½ Tbsp montreal seasoning
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (and their juice)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- in a large skillet or dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat
- when hot add ground beef, and stir to crumble
- once browned, add brown sugar, montreal seasoning, onion, bell pepper, and garlic
- stir to combine, reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes
- add tomatoes, juice, tomato paste, and worcestershire
- simmer uncovered 10 minutes (or longer if you have time to allow sauce to further thicken)
- serve on soft rolls
weeknights are busy, and dinner is more often than not something we simply have to squeeze in between obligations. these homemade sloppy joes can be ready in less than 30 minutes, but if you find yourself with extra time, they get even better with a bit of a longer simmer. the sauce becomes extra thick and the flavors really develop.
but don’t worry, sloppy joes are delicious after the initial simmer. they are definitely messy though, so make sure to have Vanity Fair® Extra Absorbent Napkins nearby to catch the surprise drips and drops. if you have a kid like charlie, trust me there will be many drips and drops.
Vanity Fair® Extra Absorbent Napkins are more absorbent that the leading mid-tier paper towel brand, with the softness of a napkin. if they can handle charlie and the sloppy joe test, they can handle anything!