strawberry shortcake cupcakes
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
these strawberry shortcake cupcakes make the perfect summertime dessert
9 out of 10 times I will pass on dessert.
I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, and would rather save my “cheat” calories on something like fries or chips and guacamole. or cheese, I could eat my weight in cheese.
But last weekend for mother’s day Ian brought home one of my all time favorite treats from Whole Foods. It’s a mash-up of strawberry shortcake and a parfait. There’s cake of course, and berries, and whipped cream, but it is all layered with this amazing vanilla custard. This is one dessert I could eat all the time.
Except last weekend, because the flu was just beginning to show its ugly head. My poor dessert went uneaten. And it is all I have been thinking about since.
These strawberry shortcake cupcakes are my version of the whole foods parfait. Delicious little vanilla cakes filled with vanilla cream, and then topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
I made these small batch (only 12 cupcakes). Most recipes make 24 – 36, and while that is perfect if you are feeding a classroom full of 2nd graders, for our family of 4 that would be too many temptations staring at me every time I open the fridge.
- for the cupcakes -
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- for the vanilla cream filling -
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp flour
- dash of salt
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- for the whipped cream topping -
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp clear piping gel
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- line a 12 cupcake pan with paper liners
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- beat butter with the sugar until light, about 2 minutes
- mix in the extracts and egg whites, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl
- sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- add 1/3 of the flour to the batter,followed by 1/2 of the milk
- once incorporated add 1/3 more flour, the rest of the milk, and finally the last of the flour
- mix only until everything is thoroughly blended
- divide batter evenly among the 12 cups
- bake cupcakes for 16-18 minutes
- while the cupcakes bake and cool make the vanilla cream filling
- in a small saucepan whisk together the milk, sugar, flour, and salt
- cook over medium heat stirring frequently until thick (about 4 minutes)
- remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolk
- return to the heat, stirring constantly for another 2 minutes
- remove from heat and stir in the vanilla
- allow to cool
- to make the whipped cream topping -
- whip the cream to soft peaks
- add the suagr and piping gel and vanilla, whip to stiff peaks
- once the cupcakes are cool, core and fill each with vanilla cream
- top with the whipped cream and add sliced strawberries
Nothing against classic strawberry shortcake, but these strawberry shortcake cupcakes have become my new favorite summer time treat.
you may also like