rhubarb coffee cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
cake for breakfast is always a good idea if you ask me. this rhubarb coffee cake is loaded with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping. the greek yogurt keeps it moist with less fat than traditional sour cream, and with rhubarb season finally here, i am using it every chance i get.
i have a new favorite sunday activity. i go through my “what to cook this week” email from the ny times as i create my grocery order from whole foods using instacart i have both pages open at the same time, and as i go from one recipe to the next i add the items i need to my shopping cart all while enjoying my morning tea. then, usually within an hour, 2 at most, the groceries arrive at my house. it is seriously the best. thing. ever.
not that i don’t love a good shopping trip, but lately it seems my to-dos and time available don’t mesh. i’ve been shopping this way for the past 4 weeks and have not missed stepping in a store one bit. plus, no impulse buys. even with tipping my shopper i am spending WAY less than when i shop myself.
back to this cake. the idea came from last weekend’s “what to cook” grapefruit crumb cake by melissa clark. we are big fans of crumb cake. any dessert disguised as breakfast is a ok. only, my kids are not big grapefruit fans and i had rhubarb left over from last week.
easy rhubarb coffee cake
rhubarb coffee cake
- 1 ¼ cups ap flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- ½ cup greek style yogurt (i use 0%)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups ap flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), cubed, softened
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- butter a 9 inch springform pan
- to making the crumb topping, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. stir in the melted butter until you have large crumbs. keep the crumb chilled while you prepare the cake batter.
- whisk together the greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla
- in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- add the butter and then beat in the greek yogurt mixture until smooth
- pour batter into the prepared pan, top with the diced rhubarb, and then add the crumb topping
- bake cake for 55 - 65 minutes - a pick inserted in the center should come out with just a few crumbs
- cool on a wire rack (cake should be completely cool before removing the sides)
coffee cakes are great for breakfast or brunch, but really i like them just as much for afternoon tea or even for dessert in the evening.
we loved this cake so much! this kids may have left the cake and just eaten the crumb topping, but i’m already dreaming up some summer variations.