red velvet granola
this red velvet granola is a fun and delicious breakfast or anytime snack perfect for valentines day
red velvet, it seems you either love it or you don’t care for it at all. i happen to love it red food coloring and all. it just seems so festive around christmas and valentines day. we were busy moving over the christmas holidays, so there wasn’t much time for red velvet then, but with valentine’s day next week, i am more than making up for it now.
we’re not big on cake, so i get my red velvet fix in other ways. the kids didn’t think that they liked red velvet, but the red velvet cookies i made a few weeks ago disappeared in a flash. as much as we love dessert, i love red velvet for breakfast too. waffles, pancakes, and doughnuts are some of my favorites. favorites until I made this red velvet granola. it has fast moved up to the top of my red velvet list.
not only is this granola super easy to make, it is absolutely delicious. my daughter loves it with milk for breakfast or with some yogurt for a snack. i just love to pick at it right out of the jar. throw in a couple chocolate chips and it makes a great dessert too.
red velvet granola
- 2 cups of rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 cup of crisp rice cereal
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp red food coloring
- line a baking sheet with Parchment Baking Paper or a Silpat Baking Mat
- preheat oven to 300 degrees
- in a large bowl combine the oats, rice cereal, cocoa, and salt
- in a small bowl whisk together the butter, syrup and vanilla
- pour wet ingredients over the oats, and then stir in red food coloring until you have the color you like (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
- spread oats in a thin layer on the baking sheet
- bake 15 minutes, stir, and then bake additional 15 minutes
- allow granola to cool before storing
as always, if you have a problem with food coloring, try an all natural variety like McCormick Natural Food Color
red velvet is fun around valentines day, but we love this granola SO much, I can see making it all the time