pizza stuffed chicken
This Pizza Stuffed Chicken is such a fun twist on an ordinary baked chicken dinner
and would be super easy to switch up with all of your favorite pizza toppings!
Hi French Press readers! I’m Lisa and I blog over at Wine & Glue! (As in I
love crafting with a glue gun in one hand and a glass of wine in the other . . . . .
or skipping the glue gun all together and just cooking dinner with a nice glass of
wine.) I could not be happier to be here today! I just adore Heather. She is one
of those friends that I’ve met blogging that I don’t even like to call a “blogging
friend.” She’s just a friend. Kind to the core.
So today I’m sharing with you my new favorite twist on a chicken dinner. Pizza
Stuffed Chicken! It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like, but this is why I
love it: You can shove any of your favorite pizza toppings in there. My kids love
having pizza about once a week from the grill. But I’m so beyond bored with pepperoni pizza,
guys. And my waistline doesn’t love pizza once a week. So the answer is Pizza
Stuffed Chicken! I get to put my artichoke, spinach, feta, and olives in there and
skip the crust and the kids get their pepperoni!
You start by butterflying the chicken breasts, you want to do them all at once so
that you don’t have to wash your hands sixty-hundred times in between adding
Add a little salt and pepper.
Add a spoonful of your favorite pizza sauce – about a tablespoon or two – just
Add some cheese, about 1/4 cup.
Then add your pizza toppings!
Fold the chicken breast over, and secure it closed with toothpicks.
Put it in a baking dish lined with more pizza sauce, top each chicken breast with a
little more cheese, cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes! Easy peesey.
When we make them, we put toothpicks in different parts of the chicken to mark which
one has which toppings inside of it.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- pepperoni or your favorite pizza toppings
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch glass baking dish with
- cooking spray and pour a enough pizza sauce in the bottom to completely cover it.
- Set dish aside.
- Cut each of the four chicken breasts in half, not going all the way through,
- butterflying them. (See photo above.)
- Sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Put 1 to 2 TBSPs of pizza sauce on top of each
- piece of chicken. Top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese each. Then top each one with
- your favorite pizza toppings.
- Fold the chicken back over and secure closed with two toothpicks.
- Place the four stuffed chicken breasts in the prepared pan. Top each piece of
- chicken with a little more sauce and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover the pan with
- aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked
- Remove the chicken from the oven, transfer to plates, and remove toothpicks.
Looking for more delicious chicken dinners?