As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
this muesli bread is two of my favorite things in one. it’s muesli and bread. pretty straightforward, but it wasn’t until i experienced the egg and cheese protein box at starbucks that i even knew such a thing existed. now, i cannot enjoy my hard boiled eggs without a round (or two).
i love my coffee, but i am 100% an at home coffee gal. i maybe go to starbucks once or twice a year, if that.
we spent the majority of our time this summer in hotels. and most of the hotels had a starbucks in the lobby. this proved to be very convenient when facing early game times and when trying to beat the crowds to disneyland. it is also when i first experienced the egg and cheese protein box.
if you, like me, are not familiar with the protein box it contains 2 hard-boiled eggs, cheese, grapes, apples, and muesli bread with peanut butter. i chose the box for the eggs, but the small rounds of bread got me hooked.
muesli is one of my new breakfast favorites. i have it almost every morning after the gym. and bread…well you know how i feel about my bread. muesli bread is just about the best thing ever and makes the perfect companion to my daily hard-boiled egg.
copycat starbucks muesli bread
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 package platinum instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups muesli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water
- in a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients
- add the honey and water, and mix until you have a shaggy dough (no visible four and will be a sticky ball)
- knead dough to form a smooth ball (i like to do this by hand to avoid over-kneading)
- place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap
- allow dough to rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours (dough should be doubled in volume and puffy)
- punch down the dough and divide into 8
- roll pieces into 8 balls, cover and rise 15 minutes
- while dough is rising preheat cast iron skillet or griddle to medium high
- if needed, lightly grease skillet or griddle
- roll dough into a disc about 1/4 inch thick
- place disc onto hot skillet or griddle
- cook 2 minutes, air bubbles should begin to form and bottom will have small golden brown spots, flip and cook another 2 -3 minutes
- as with most breads, these are best eaten fresh, but can be kept in an airtight bag or container for 2 - 3 days
how to bake muesli bread in the oven
i prefer to cook these on the stove top using a griddle or a cast iron skillet, but to save a little time you could use the pita making method for this recipe.
preheat your oven to 500° and have a baking pan or baking stone in the oven while it heats up. roll out the bread and carefully place them on the preheated baking sheets or stone. bake 5-6 minutes until they are slightly golden brown and baked through.
both methods work well, but i do prefer muesli bread made in cast iron.