mini chicken pot pies
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you to Safeway for sponsoring this post.
Last week my kids had their annual physicals. The waiting room was FULL. The pharmacy was FULL. This can only mean one thing. Along with fall, cold and flu season has arrived.
My kids have always been extremely healthy. They are 14 and 17 and have never had to even take an antibiotic. As a mom, that has always made me feel pretty good about what I feed them. Yes, they get the occasional snack and when left to their own would choose junk food 100% of the time. They are teens, so fast food is pretty much what they are always after, but I do try my best to fill them up with as much good as I can.
Smoothies are great for sneaking in extra fruits and veggies. Plus, when you have kids that aren’t into eating much for breakfast in the dark, they are an easy on-the-go meal or snack. I’m also getting really good at adding a hefty dose of carrots and zucchini in my meatballs. So far the kids have not caught on.
But of course, no matter how healthy we all are, we usually catch a cold at least once during the fall and winter months. Typically, it starts with one of the kids, and then we all end up sick.
So after our trip to the Dr. last week I stocked up on healthy food, cough drops, and cold meds at Safeway just in case. I LOVE that Safeway has an affordable line of organic products. We’ve got bags of O Organics® frozen fruit for smoothies, all the makings for chicken soup and my all-time favorite comfort food, mini chicken pot pies. As a kid I LOVED when my mom would buy the little mini pot pies, you know the ones that came in the little silver container. I still love them, but as an adult have moved on from frozen to these homemade mini chicken pot pies.
mini chicken pot pies
- For the crust –
- 2/3 cup O Organics all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp O Organics butter cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- For the filling –
- 16 ounces cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 small O Organics red potatoes scrubbed and diced
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 ½ cups O Organics chicken broth
- 16 ounces O Organics frozen mixed vegetable blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg wash –
- 1 egg yolk blended with 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Begin by making the crust
- In a food processor combine the flour and salt, add the butter and pulse until you have a coarse mixture
- With the motor running add the ice water and egg yolk, and process only until the dough holds together
- Form dough into a circle, flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven melt 4 Tbsp butter, add the diced potato and cook until the potatoes begin to soften – about 5 minutes. Add the leek and cook stirring frequently another 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup flour, stir, and cook 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken stock, stir frequently until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Add the reserved shredded chicken and frozen vegetables.
- Divide mixture among 4- 1 – ½ cup oven safe dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Remove the chilled dough, and roll to ¼ inch thickness. Cut circles to fit over the dishes, place dough on top of filling, brush with the egg wash and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- Place dishes on a baking sheet, bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes (crust will be golden)
- Serve hot
No matter how hard you try to stay healthy, we all find ourselves with the occasional cold.
My Safeway in Folsom, Ca carries an exclusive line of effective and affordable products known as Signature Care™; you can also find them at all Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets, Market Street, Albertsons Market and Carrs/Safeway.
With the same active ingredients and FDA standards, these Signature Care products provide the same quality and relief that national name brands do, but do so at a better value.
Signature Care products are pharmacist recommended, sold exclusively at Safeway, and come with a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back promise. Safeway makes it possible to stock up on all of our cold and flu needs from fruit and juice to meds, tissues, and even magazines all at great prices.
Along with a decongestant or two and a good box of tissues, some chicken soup or these mini chicken pot pies can comfort even the most miserable of colds.
Again, thank you to Safeway for sponsoring this post.