malted banana chocolate muffins
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
i’m one of those people that can only eat green bananas. the bananas that are so green they are almost impossible to peel. those are my favorite. i can eat them as they begin to go from green to yellow, but once completely yellow, forget it, they are too sweet for me. unless of course they happen to be the star of a loaf of banana bread or banana muffins then the sweeter the better.
at any given time you can probably find a dozen or so bananas in my freezer. because i only like to eat them green, we often have too many rips bananas on the counter. to keep them from being wasted i toss them in the freezer. some still in the peel, some i actually take the time to peel and slice to make smoothies fast and easy.
a few days ago, as i went to add another few bananas to my frozen stash, i realized that they were taking up way too much real estate in my over-crowded freezer. what better way to use them up than with a batch or two of malted banana chocolate muffins.
banana chocolate muffins
malted banana chocolate muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ap flour
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 Tbsp whole milk
- 6 ounces chocolate, chopped
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- line muffin tin with paper liners
- in a large bowl whisk together the flours, malted milk powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- in another bowl stir together the banana, egg, yogurt, and vanilla, and add to the flour mixture
- whisk batter adding milk 1 Tbsp at a time until smooth
- add the chocolate(making sure to get all the crumbs) and fold into batter
- spoon batter into muffin tin
- bake 18 - 20 minutes (pick inserted in the center should come out clean)
- cool in pan 5 minutes, then cool on a rack
these banana muffins are heavy on the chocolate, so save them for a special weekend breakfast or brunch. by using chopped chocolate instead of chocolate chips, you will get bits of chocolate in every bite. chocolate chips would be good, but i strongly suggest chopping your own. and scrape up all those bits and chocolate dust.
i love adding malt to my baked goods. i used it every time i make pancakes, waffles, and in these muffins it adds a sweet earthy flavor that goes so well with banana and chocolate. it’s almost like a banana split in breakfast form.
how to thaw frozen bananas
because i freeze so many bananas, i very rarely bake with fresh. most bread and muffins call for 3 – 4 ripe bananas. take your frozen bananas (i always keep them in freezer bags) and thaw on the counter at room temperature. they thaw pretty quickly, usually only about an hour. once thawed, mash the bananas and any juices from thawing and use in your baking recipe.
in my humble opinion, muffins are an all day treat. just as delicious with your afternoon tea as they are with your morning coffee. i’ve even been know to have a malted banana chocolate muffin or two for dessert.