As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
polka dot lasagna skillet
a delicious one pot, on the table in 30 minutes meal the whole family will love
I have a rather large collection of cookbooks. Some I use all the time, others I use for special occasions, and some honestly I keep just for the gorgeous photography.
Express Lane Cooking by Shawn Syphus (creator of the amazing blog I Wash You Dry) is fast becoming my new most used cookbook. For the busy mom with little time for shopping and even less time for the actual dinner making, this will become your most used book as well.
In the few weeks that I have had the book I’ve already made the loaded chicken casserole (page 18) – LOVED it! The slow cooker chicken rice bowls (page 37) – devoured by even the fussy one, stacked bbq pulled pork nachos (page 71) – Oh My Goodness, and a family favorite the polka dot lasagna skillet (page 83).
Stella is our resident lasagna lover. In fact, lasagna is pretty much the only meal she ever asks for, and is one of the only meals she enjoys. Trouble is, lasagna can be time consuming, and on HOT days NOT what I want to be making.
Shawn’s lasagna skillet fixes all that. Made in just one pot, and ready in about 30 minutes, it is fast, easy, and delicious. Just ask my lasagna expert.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp fennel, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 2 cups bowtie pasta (I used shells), uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil ( I used fresh)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- in a large skillet brown the ground beef, and drain off any extra grease
- return to the stove and add the fennel, 1 tsp of the garlic, and the onion powder
- stir until the mixture becomes fragrant
- add the sauce, the pasta, water, and red pepper flakes
- bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes (until the pasta is fully cooked)
- combine the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, basil - (if using dried) flour, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- scoop large dollops of the cheese mixture on top of the fully cooked pasta
- cover and cook an additional 5 minutes
- *if using fresh basil in place of the dry, serve the lasagna topped with chopped basil leaves
Express Lane Cooking includes over 80 quick-shop meals, each using 5 ingredients – with vegetarian options as well as a dessert chapter. If you are looking for quick and easy weeknight meals, then this is the only cookbook you’ll need.