gingerbread coffee cake with spiced ginger streusel
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gingerbread Coffee Cake with a spiced Ginger Streusel topping
a delicious way to start your holiday mornings
It is safe to say that I have moved past all things apple and pumpkin and have firmly embraced spicy ginger, molasses, and cinnamon. I just love cinnamon.
So when I was asked to create a recipe using Gourmet Garden lightly dried ginger, I knew immediately what I wanted to make. Gingerbread, but this time of year you see gingerbread recipes all over the place. I love gingerbread, but I did want to come up with something a bit more original.
I combined my favorite gingerbread recipe, with my favorite coffee cake recipe, and added a spicy ginger streusel topping, because every coffee cake needs streusel topping.
Sometimes all I eat is the streusel topping.
But not with this cake, I ate it all. Using lightly dried ginger in place of ground ginger makes a HUGE difference. It is the closest thing to fresh you can get, making the cake FULL of ginger flavor, and well that is exactly what you want in a good gingerbread if you ask me.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp lightly dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lightly dried ginger
- pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- butter and lightly flour a 9 inch square pan
- cream together the butter and sugar
- add the eggs and beat well
- add the molasses and milk
- mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger
- add the dry ingredients to the batter, and mix well
- pour into prepared pan
- make the streusel by blending the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger, add teh melted butter and blend until crumbly
- top the coffee cake with streusel and bake 30 - 40 minutes - until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean
Great with morning coffee, afternoon tea, or even as dessert, this gingerbread coffeecake is a great addition to your holiday baking list.
Sweets from Friends –
Thank you to Gourmet Garden for sponsoring this post, but as always all opinions are 100% mine.