funfetti bundt cake
it really is true. sprinkles make everything more fun. except when your dog enthusiastically pushes past you and an entire jar of sprinkles ends up rolling all over the kitchen floor. then, not so much fun. but this funfetti bundt cake with cream cheese frosting was worth the sprinkles that i’m still finding in every corner of the kitchen.
life is better
with sprinkles on top
have you ever been to a nothing bundt cakes? i enjoyed my first cake last week. one of our wonderful basketball moms bought a box for the team to celebrate the end of a great season. normally, i can pass on the sweets. last week i must have skipped lunch because by game time i was hungry. my mini lemon bundt cake disappeared in seconds. then, i tried stella’s “confetti” cake.
i have been dreaming about that funfetti bundt cake with cream cheese frosting since game day. naturally, i had to make my own.
homemade funfetti bundt cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, at rooms temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup sprinkles (plus more for topping)
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 - 1 cup of powdered sugar (1/2 cup will be a pour-able glaze - i used 1 cup)
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 325°
- butter and flour a bundt or tube cake pan
- in a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- add the eggs one a a time, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition, then add extracts
- reduce speed to low and alternate adding flour and milk - starting and ending with the flour
- using a rubber spatula scrape the bottom of the bowl making sure everything is smooth, then fold in the sprinkles
- spoon batter into the prepared pan
- bake 75 minutes until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean
- cool in pan 15 minutes, them remove to a rack to complete cooling
- once cool, make the cream cheese glaze -beat the cream cheese with the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla until smooth
- frost or glaze cake and cover in sprinkles
the cream cheese frosting on all nothing bundt cakes is thick. the frosting is delicious. stella thinks it’s the best part. it is also very sweet and a bit much for me. i frosted my bundt cake in more of a cream cheese glaze. not quite runny enough to pour on, but not nearly as heavy as a true cream cheese frosting. if you like a heavy cream cheese frosting, go for it. this is one of my favorite recipes.
because the frosting is delicious, i wanted a bit of cream cheese with every bite. this funfetti bundt has a very light coat of cream cheese all around the cake. again, do what you prefer. if you like frosting go for a heavier coat. not a frosting fan, just give it a light coat on top.
just don’t forget the sprinkles!