easy taco casserole bake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I first shared this easy taco casserole bake over at Real Housemoms, but it is simply too good not to share with you as well.
I am in complete denial that Christmas is just a few weeks away. We are NOT ready at all. And by we I mean me. The kids are of course very ready. We’re packing to move, and living amidst a sea of boxes and piles upon piles of things waiting to be packed or wrapped, but I am not letting that stress me out. This is the most wonderful time of the year, and I plan to enjoy it.
With a few school projects due this week, and finals on the horizon, our schedules are full. Some days it just doesn’t seem like there’s time to get it all done, so casseroles are my go-to dinner. Make ahead meals are the best. I can have dinner ready early in the day, that way when the kids get home we can knock out the school work and still have a delicious dinner on the table.
Taco night is a favorite in my house, so this taco casserole bake was a no-brainer. It is everyone’s favorite taco baked in an easy to prepare casserole ready and waiting when we are.
This taco casserole is also completely customize-able. I like to use ground turkey, but it’s just as delicious if you use ground beef or even chicken. No taco seasoning. No problem, add a cup of salsa with the meat. Black beans, pinto beans, even refried beans are all delicious. I made our taco casserole with corn tortillas because that is what we prefer, but flour tortillas or even tortilla chips are delicious. My kids are begging for this made with doritios. Add what you like and what you have on hand. That’s what makes this casserole so easy and a hit with even the fussy one.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning (plus water to make according to the directions)
- 8 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pinto beans
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 cups of corn (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- toppings - sour cream, jalapeno, cilantro, more salsa, and cheese
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- in a large skillet, brown the ground turkey with the onion
- add taco seasoning and cook according to the package directions
- line a casserole dish with half of the tortillas
- top with half of the ground turkey, half of the beans, 1 cup of corn, 1 cup of salsa and 1 cup of shredded cheese
- add remaining tortillas, meat, beans, corn, salsa, and cheese
- bake casserole at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- allow to rest 5 minutes before serving, and top with your favorite taco fixings