As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
we’ve been on summer break for two weeks now. i have not found my “summer rhythm” yet, but have been enjoying the relaxed schedule and lack of basketball practice. to kick off what will be a summer of travel (most due to basketball), we’re off on a family trip to london and paris next week. our travel packet came yesterday, and to celebrate homemade crumpets were a must.
i forgot how much i love crumpets. when ian and i moved to california, our first apartment together was on 5th avenue in san rafael. right down the street was a brand new cafe, tea and crumpets. the crumpets were made right in the window and served hot all day long. they were amazing, and ian and i went practically every weekend.
the shop closed. we moved. after several less than delicious store bought versions, i tried making crumpets myself. don’t let the yeast scare you off. traditional homemade crumpets are as easy as pancakes to make.
traditional english crumpets
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 envelope yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- butter for griddle and molds
- in a large bowl combine the milk., water, sugar, and yeast
- stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt
- cover with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour
- warm griddle to medium-low heat, and brush with melted butter
- brush english muffin rings or plain edge round cutters with butter, and place on griddle
- spoon batter into the molds (about 1/4 inch high) and cook 6 minutes
- carefully remove the rings, flip and cook another 3 - 4 minutes (until lightly browned)
- brush mold and griddle with butter for every batch
crumpets can easily be made without the english muffin molds or cookie cutters. pour the crumpet batter onto the griddle as you would with pancake batter. the batter will spread a bit and your crumpets will not be quite as high, but they also cook faster. without molds, cook crumpets 3-4 minutes, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes.
i am not a fan of cluttering my kitchen up with gadgets, but i have to say i love my english muffin rings
, and they are super affordable.
this will be my first trip to london, so i have yet to experience a true english crumpet. given my love of all things carb, i’m sure it will be love at first bite.
i’ll be sure to keep you posted. for now i’m happy with my homemade crumpets.