cream cheese filled carrot cake muffins
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
cream cheese filled carrot cake muffins because any day is a great day to have dessert for breakfast
dessert for breakfast
is that slice of cake any better for you if you eat it at 8 pm instead of 8 am? it may not give me the energy I need to get through the morning, but it sure would give me more time to burn off the calories.
i don’t let the kids eat dessert for breakfast, at least not usually. there have been times that we have pie or fruit crisp for breakfast, but that is not a typical morning meal. charlie may have had a chocolate cream pie for breakfast on one occasion, but i blame grandma carolyn for that one. stella would eat dessert for breakfast every day if allowed. make that every meal if allowed. that girl has got a sweet tooth.
i compromised, and made a slightly healthier version of carrot cake muffins, and stuffed the cream cheese inside, because you cannot have carrot cake without the cream cheese frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of grated carrot
- 1/3 cup raisins (if using)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (if using)
- cream cheese filing -
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- line a muffin tin with paper liners
- sift together the flours, baking powder,cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
- whisk together the sugar, eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla
- pour wet ingredients over the dry, and stir to combine
- fold in the carrots, and raisins and nuts (if using)
- blend the cream cheese with the powdered sugar until smooth
- place 2 Tbsp of muffin batter in the bottom of each muffin tin
- place 1 tsp of cream cheese in the center of each muffin, and top with another tablespoon of muffin batter
- bake muffins at 375 degrees for 25 minutes
i don’t particularly care for raisins in my carrot cake, and the kids want nothing to do with nuts, so i left them out. if you like the raisins and nuts, add them (1/3 cup of each) mixed into the batter with the grated carrot.
cream cheese filled carrot cake muffins are a dessert made for breakfast i’d happily eat every day.
you may also like