chocolate pound cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
this dark chocolate pound cake is for the serious chocolate lover, and whatever you do, do not skimp on the ganache frosting.
when it comes to cake, i definitely favor pound or bundt cakes over heavily frosted layer cakes. i did make my dad his favorite german chocolate cake for his birthday a few years back, and i do love this devils food cake with raspberry frosting but i can probably count on one hand the number of layer cakes that i have made that actually turned out well.
so i stick to pound cakes like this chocolate pound cake and the occasional bundt.
life has been crazy lately. kids in school. basketball 5 days a week. a quick vegas trip for ians birthday. a visit from my parents, house painting, and a much needed solo weekend in san diego.
to say i am exhausted is an understatement, but i finally feel like maybe things are calming down. at least a bit. unfortunately with teens in the house, that changes daily. for now i am looking forward to an event free weekend, football watching, some r&r,
and a slice or two of this chocolate pound cake.
dark chocolate pound cake with ganache
dark chocolate pound cake with gananche
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- grease standard loaf pan and line with a parchment sling
- in a medium bowl whisk together the flour and cocoa powder
- in the bowl of a stand mixer,using the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy - this will take about 5 minutes
- add eggs one at a time, and vanilla
- reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly flour/cocoa mixture and mix only until the flour is incorporated
- pour batter into the prepared pan
- bake in the center of the oven for 60 minutes (a pick inserted int he center should come out clean) if needed bake an additional 5 - 10 mnutes
- cool in pan 15 minutes, carefully remove cake to a rack to complete cooling
- to make the ganache, simmer the cream in a small saucepan until hot - but not boiling
- pour over the chopped chocolate, and let sit for 5 minutes - then whisk until smoooth
- pour ganache over the completely cooled pound cake
how to bake the perfect pound cake
pound cakes are incredibly simple to make, and easily can be baked days ahead. for a moist cake with even crumb make sure to properly measure your dry ingredients. make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature to get the most volume out of your cake. also, do not rush the creaming. add the sugar gradually and you want to beat the butter and sugars very light and fluffy – depending on your mixer be prepared for this to take more than 5 minutes. patience is a virtue.
after the creaming, you do not want to over-mix, especially when adding the dry ingredients. blend only until everything is incorporated. this will ensure the perfect texture.
finally, cool your cake completely before frosting and cutting.
this pound cake would be perfectly acceptable on its own, minus the frosting. it is for the serious chocolate lover. what fun would a naked cake be? the ganache makes this cake. my kids probably would have been happy eating the ganache alone, not that i blame them. chocolate ganache is like heaven on a spoon even for this non-chocolate lover.