chocolate pecan pie bars
I’m not sure why I love it so much. It is SO sweet, and normally those are not the desserts I go for; it’s probably because it is my dad’s favorite pie. Whatever the reason, come Thanksgiving, I will gladly pass up pumpkin and apple for a piece of pecan pie.
A few years ago, my mother in law started adding chocolate to her Thanksgiving pecan pie. I was upset at first; I love it straight up, and not really being a big fan of chocolate desserts, I was not expecting to like it. Much to my surprise I loved it. The chocolate wasn’t overpowering, and you still got that delicious pecan pie taste.
As I planned out what I would be making for our Thanksgiving dessert table ( yes even though it is only the four of us this year, we will have a dessert table – don’t judge) I knew it had to include a chocolate pecan pie, but you know how I feel about pie crust…
NOT good people.
Pie crust and I still do not see eye to eye, and I ‘m not sure we ever will.
These chocolate pecan pie bars are pecan pie meets chocolate shortbread cookie, and I didn’t have to fight with a pie crust to get a Thanksgiving dessert everyone loves.
- for the shortbread crust -
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold and cut in small pieces
- for the filling-
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch, square baking pan
- to make the chocolate shortbread crust, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and sugar
- using a pastry blender (two forks work as well) cut in the butter so that is it evenly distributed - the dough will appear crumbly
- press dough into the bottom of your prepared pan
- bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
- set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the filling
- combine the corn syrup and the brown sugar
- stir in the eggs, beating well after each addition
- mix in the flour, butter, vanilla, and salt
- stir in the pecans and chocolate chips, and pour filling into the prepared shortbread crust
- bake at 350 degrees until the center is set - 30 - 35 minutes
- cool completely before cutting
Just look at that filling; hard to pass up even if you have had too much turkey (or in my case stuffing, I can’t stop myself when stuffing is involved).
thanksgiving idea from friends –
you may also like