chocolate banana bundt cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
the kids have been out of school for exactly one week. with the exception of basketball practice and training a few nights a week we’re not on much of a schedule, and i don’t mind one bit. besides not having to pack lunches, it’s my favorite part of school break.
stella and i have been relaxing, and reading, online shopping, and making a summer baking bucket-list. she has a thing for cakes. especially chocolate cakes, so you can expect to see a few more cakes than usual around here.
this chocolate banana bundt cake was a compromise of sorts. stella wanted to bake an elaborate three layer chocolate cake, and i was hoping to bake a simple banana sheet cake. put the two together and this bundt cake is what you get. it’s as easy to make as a sheet cake, satisfies the chocolate lovers in the house, and the banana keeps this bundt cake moist for days. not that it you’ll have it that long.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter softened to room temperture
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large banana, well mashed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- butter and flour ** a 12-cup tube or bundt pan
- in a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda
- add butter and sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat on medium speed until very light and fluffy (this will take about 5 minutes)
- add the vanilla, and then the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition
- add the banana, and beat until incorporated
- reduce the mixer speed to low and add 1/3 of the flour and then half of the buttermilk
- beat until smooth, then stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl
- blend in another 1/3 of the flour, the remaining buttermilk, then beat in the last of the flour
- scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula making sure everything is well combined and then scrape the batter into the prepared pan
- smooth the top and bake for 1 1/2 hours (or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean)
- cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, and then carefully turn it out onto a rack to complete cooing
- dust with powdered sugar before serving
no buttermilk, no problem. use 1 cup whole or 2% milk and add 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, let sit for 10 minutes and use as you would with buttermilk
i served this chocolate banana bundt with a simple dusting of powdered sugar, but for the serious chocolate lover try topping your cake with this easy chocolate ganache.
however you top it, this chocolate banana bundt cake is the perfect way to kick off summer break baking.