carrot cake coffee cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
today’s post is going to be short and sweet. easter is two days away. whatever your plans include for the day, your breakfast or brunch plans need to include this carrot cake coffee cake.
do you ever go into a holiday week with intentions to complete ALL the things? i had grand plans for how much i would get done over spring break. now here we are two days from easter. i still don’t have my brunch menu finalized, and we have an all day basketball tournament tomorrow.
this week i did manage to get work done in the garden, and i finally cleaned out my closet and dresser drawers. plus, there’s this amazing coffee cake.
i love carrot cake. my family does not agree. they do however love coffee cake. so naturally i compromised.
coffee cake with carrots
carrot cake coffee cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- grease a 9 inch square baking pan
- preheat oven to 350°
- in a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices
- in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add egg and vanilla
- with the mixer on low speed add the flour alternating with the buttermilk
- fold in the grated carrots
- spread batter into the prepared pan (batter will be thick)
- combine all the ingredients for the streusel, and mix until you have coarse crumbs
- spoon streusel over the top of the cake
- bake 30-35 minutes (a pick inserted into the center should come out clean)
the most time consuming part of this coffee cake is grating the carrots. you could use a food processor to make this easier, but a hand grater works (this is how i grated mine). i did leave out the typical carrot cake nuts and raisins. the idea was to get my family to eat the coffee cake. nuts and raisins would have killed the deal.
even stella loved it, and i had to bribe her to try a piece. but come on look at that streusel. what’s not to love?
carrot cake you can have for breakfast…you’re welcome.