cake mix chocolate chip cookie bars
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”
or so the song goes
From Thanksgiving through January after Charlie’s birthday really is my favorite time of year. There are cold nights spent by the fire, twinkly lights, hot cocoa, and MANY days spent creating holiday treats.
As much as I love being in the kitchen, this year things have been a bit different. We’re traveling for the holidays, so on top of planning our family Christmas, we have been trying to get ready for the trip back east. The biggest change easily is studying for finals. With Charlie in high school this year, he has winter exams, and to say I am stressed is an ENORMOUS understatement.
The time I would normally be spending in the kitchen baking up a storm has been spent furiously taking study notes in Physics. Let me tell you, I am NOT a fan of Science, and there have been many calls to grandma the Science teacher.
While my time has been limited, we still want holiday treats. Especially come Friday when finals are OVER!!!
I admit, I do not typically buy or use cake mixes, but Pillsbury™ has a line called Purely Simple™ made with simple ingredients, no colors, preservatives or artificial flavors.With a box mix plus a bit of butter, a few eggs, and chocolate chips you can have easy chocolate chip cookie bars ready for the oven in a matter of minutes. Frosted with Purely Simple™ Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and you have a show stopper dessert that no one will know came from a box.
This year is all about simple for me, and this is one simple holiday dessert that I will make again and again. I treasure time spent in the kitchen with my kids, but with a little help from Pillsbury™ that doesn’t have to mean the ENTIRE day.
- 1 - 17 oz Purely Simple™ White Cake mix
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 1-13.2 oz Purely Simple™ Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick baking spray
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- beat the cake mix with butter, and add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl in between
- fold in the chocolate chips, and spread batter into the baking dish, smooth the top
- bake 20 minutes
- cool completely before frosting
- to make the frosting -
- beat the frosting mix with the butter until well combined
- slowly beat in the water and then mix on high speed for about 1 minute until light and fluffy
- frost cookie bars and enjoy
Still looking for that perfect holiday dessert, check out the Dessert Debate for tips, tricks, and recipes, as well as coupon for your favorite Pillsbury™ and Crisco products. and then head to your neighborhood Stop&Shop, Giant Stores, Martin’s Food Markets, or Peapod to pick up everything you need to make this year’s holiday the best one yet.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.