cake batter bagels with funfetti cream cheese
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
mornings just got a whole lot sweeter with cake batter bagels and funfetti cream cheese
so i know that bread is the devil, and we shouldn’t be eating it. paleo is king. carbs are bad. blah. blah. blah. but I love my bread. and bagels are pretty damn delicious, especially homemade. if you have never had a homemade bagel you need to get on that immediately.
i love making bagels almost as much as i love eating them. i think these blueberry were my first, and from there I was hooked. lemon, cinnamon roll, maple bacon. i think the pumpkin were my favorite, but they are all amazing and SO much better than anything you could buy.
funny story, or maybe really not that funny. I though I was being quite creative, and had been working on perfecting a rainbow bagel. it took MANY tries and more colors than you could imagine, but I got one that actually looked as good as they tasted. and then these took the internet by storm.
i guess i’m not as creative or unique as I thought.
and as pretty as my bagels were, I certainly am not going to compete with an internet sensation.
enter the cake batter bagel with funfetti cream cheese
not as pretty as a rainbow, but oh so delicious
my cake batter obsession continues and these cake batter bagels make it perfectly acceptable to eat cake batter for breakfast
- for the bagels -
- 1 envelope of yeast (I always use Red Star Platinum )
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups very warm water
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter extract
- for the cream cheese -
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- in a large bowl of a stand mixer combine the yeast, sugar, 3 cups of flour, and salt
- add the water and extracts, stir
- switch to the dough hook, and knead until you have a smooth ball of dough (adding more flour as needed)
- cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled (about 1 hour)
- punch dough down, divide into 8 pieces, and roll each into a ball
- place dough on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet, cover and let rise 30 minutes
- press a floured finger into the center of each dough ball, and stretch a bit to create the hole in the center of each bagel
- bring a large pot of water to a boil
- pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- boil bagels, one or two at a time, fro 2 minutes (flip over after a minute)
- place bagels back on the lined baking sheet
- bake @425 degrees for 20 minutes (until golden brown)
- make the cream cheese -
- blend together the cream cheese, powder sugar, and extract
- stir in the sprinkles, cover and chill until ready to use
maybe someday when the hype dies down i’ll share my rainbow bagels, for now…
enjoy cake batter bagels with funfetti cream cheese!