blueberry muffin cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
blueberry muffins in cake form with a crumb topping, this blueberry muffin cake is the perfect snack morning, noon, and night
We are spending our last week of summer vacation camping. We’re probably snacking on this blueberry muffin cake while sitting around a campfire right now.
I never considered myself much of a camper, but when you have kids and dogs, it really is the best way to get away. The dogs love being outside 24/7. We all love the cooler temperatures in the mountains and swimming in the river, and food for the most part always tastes better when cooked and eaten outside by a fire.
I probably could have found a way to cook this blueberry muffin cake over a fire, but I made it at home before we left. It smelled SO good while baking that the cake almost didn’t make it to camp.
Not only is this blueberry muffin cake easy to make (it starts with a boxed mix) it comes form the gorgeous new book OUT of the BOX DESSERTS written by my wonderful friend Hayley – you probably know her as the Domestic Rebel. We are huge blueberry muffin fans. As soon as I got my copy of the book I knew right away what I would make first. Stella has been begging for the mint cookie overload cake and the chocolate galaxy cupcakes are most likely going to be lunch box treat staples this year.
Given our love of coffeecake, it was no surprise how fast this cake disappeared. It makes a terrific campfire breakfast along side eggs and bacon. But was just as good in the afternoon for a snack. Of course you could enjoy it for dessert with coffee too. Like I said, this blueberry muffin cake is the perfect treat any tine of day.
- 1 box of blueberry muffin mix that comes with a can of blueberries inside - I used Krusteaz (plus ingredients for making the mix)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- for the glaze (I skipped this part because of packing)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp milk or cream
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- grease a 9 inch spring-form pan (I used a 9x9 square pan)
- prepare muffin batter according to the package directions, add in the vanilla and fold in the fresh blueberries along with the rinsed and drained canned berries
- pour batter into the prepared pan
- in another bowl combine the melted butter with the brown sugar and flour, cinnamon and nutmeg
- crumble with a fork and sprinkle crumb over the muffin batter
- bake at 350 degrees - 30 - 35 minutes for the spring-form pan, 40 - 45 minutes if baking in an 8 or 9 inch square pan (a tester inserted into the center should come out with moist crumbs - not wet batter)
- if making the glaze whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream
- drizzle over the cooled cake and let set before cutting (this will take about 10-15 minutes)
Because I wanted to cut and pack this cake for camping, I baked it in a square baking pan. I also skipped the glaze. When we make this cake at home,we never skip the glaze. You shouldn’t either. And, you will definitely want to pick up a copy of OUT of the BOX DESSERTS for yourself.