birthday cake waffles
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
these birthday cake waffles are the most fun way to start the day, even if it isn’t your birthday
tomorrow is ian’s birthday. he goes all out when it comes to celebrating my birthday, but he doesn’t usually like to celebrate his own birthday especially when it falls on a weekday. he probably would even prefer for us to ignore it altogether, but the kids and i refuse to simply let the day go by without making him feel special.
these birthday cake waffles are the most fun way i can think of to start a birthday, even if it has to start before the sun comes up. i was planning on baking up a loaf of birthday cake bread; the one i made for my birthday was such a hit it didn’t last 24 hours, but not only is tomorrow ian’s birthday it also happens to be national waffle day.
so the birthday cake bread is going to have to wait til stella’s birthday in december. birthday + waffle day can only mean one thing, birthday cake waffles.
birthday cake waffles
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp butter extract
- 2 Tbsp sprinkles
- heat waffle iron
- whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- in another bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, butter, and extracts
- add wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk until combined
- fold in the sprinkles
- butter both sides of the waffle iron
- pour batter (amount depends on the brand of waffle maker, mine uses 1/2 cup /waffle)
- cook until golden brown
- waffles can be kept warm in a 200 degree oven (place directly on the rack to prevent them from getting soggy) while you finish the batter
- serve warm with butter, syrup, whipped cream, and of course more sprinkles
these birthday cake waffles are made from scratch with no cake mix used at all. just like the birthday cake bread they get their cake batter flavor from almond and butter extract in addition to vanilla. don’t forget the sprinkles. sprinkles are a must on birthdays.
as for the toppings, ian is a waffle purist and goes for butter and syrup every time. the kids love to top their birthday cake waffles with whipped cream and more sprinkles of course. i think the waffles are sweet enough on their own and eat mine plain.
for birthdays, special occasions, or just because you made it to thursday, these birthday cake waffles are the most fun way to start your day.