simple homemade granola recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
you can never go wrong with a good, basic granola recipe. this simple homemade granola recipe is our favorite. top your yogurt, enjoy with milk, or grab a handful as you walk out the door. you are going to love how easy it is to make granola at home.
So, my fussy eater seems to be getting fussier by the day.
Her do-not-eat list just keeps growing, and growing, and growing.
This makes meal times less than fun. In an effort to keep her from starving, I am trying to incorporate as many of her favorites as I can into our weekly plan. You know the saying if momma’s not happy then no one is happy, well in our house substitute Stella for the momma.
She loves chicken noodle soup, as long as there isn’t any chicken in her bowl, and the noodles are homemade. If you follow along on instagram you may have seen her helping with the noodle making.
She also is BIG fan of taco Tuesday and make your own pizza night. The rest of the week is hit or miss. Some days she loves pasta, others not so much.
Simple homemade granola is one of her favorites for breakfast and snacks. Topped with some homemade yogurt and fruit, I don’t feel as bad then when she won’t eat dinner if she has at least had a nutritious snack. When I was working on my meal prepping this week, I made a double batch of this simple homemade granola I like fun flavors like carrot cake and banana bread granola as much as the next guy, but with a plain, basic granola, you can add whatever mix-ins you like.
I LOVE adding dark chocolate chunks and coconut flakes, but Stella is ALL about the berries, so I dehydrated strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. FYI – blackberries take a L O N G time to fully dehydrate. Of course you can buy them already to go, but they are pricey, so I like to make my own. If you don’t own a food dehydrator, you can spread the berries on a baking sheet, and place them in an oven set the the lowest possible temperature (around 140) leave the door open slightly – this will take about 12 hours, although the blackberries will take longer
how to make simple homemade granola
simple homemade granola
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of chopped almonds, I always use raw
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees
- melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved
- remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla
- in a large mixing bowl combine the oats, almonds, flax, salt, and cinnamon
- stir in the butter and brown sugar,mixing well to make sure everything is well combined
- spread the oats onto a rimmed baking sheet
- bake 15 minutes, stir, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes
- the granola will harden as it cools
- once cool you can add the dried fruit
- make sure your granola is completely cool before storing in an airtight container
breakfast from friends