banana zucchini chocolate bread
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
why choose between banana bread and zucchini bread when you can have both? add some chocolate and this banana zucchini chocolate bread may be the best quick bread recipe i have ever made.
i would never claim to be a great gardener. i love to garden, but i honestly i do not do much more than pull weeds, add in some good dirt, plant, and then water. my kids would tell you that i also talk to the plants much to their embarrassment.
basically i plant and then hope for the best. our tomatoes always grow like crazy, but being on vacation for more than two weeks, they didn’t get the water they needed. we’re still getting tomatoes but the leaves definitely have a distressed look.
my zucchini bounced back in a big way. so on top of eating zucchini and summer squash with every meal, i have been baking zucchini bread and muffins almost non-stop. then i picked up the latest copy of bake from scratch devoted to quick bread. i love my quick bread so it was a must read. right away i spotted this recipe for banana chocolate espresso swirl muffins
sitting right next to my brown bananas was a rather large zucchini, and with many more on the counter, i knew zucchini was going to be added to this recipe. and the fact that i am out of muffin tin liners led to a bread in place of muffins.
i do plan on making the muffins from the magazine because they look incredible, but boy this loaf was over the top delicious.
banana zucchini chocolate bread
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of grated zucchini
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and allowed to cool slightly
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and place rack in the lower third of the oven
- grease a standard 8 x 4 inch loaf pan
- in a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg
- in another bowl mash the bananas with the buttermilk, vanilla, and then fold in the grated zucchini
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy (this should take about 3 minutes)
- scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the eggs, and beat until thoroughly combined
- reduce mixer speed to low, slowly add the flour, and mix until incorporated
- add the banana mixture and mix well
- scoop 1 cup of batter into a small bowl, and stir in the melted chocolate
- pour the non-chocolate batter into the prepared pan
- spoon chocolate batter down the center of the pan, and swirl using a wooden pick
- bake loaf 45-55 minutes until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean
- cool loaf in pan 15 minutes, carefully remove the loaf from the pan, and complete cooling on a rack
with banana, zucchini, melted chocolate, and a bit of buttermilk, this loaf is extra moist. make sure you wait until it is completely cool before cutting, or the slices will fall apart.
trust me i speak from experience.
while i normally love banana bread or zucchini bread for breakfast, this loaf is definitely more snack or desert. it is sweet and loaded with chocolate, not that it’s a bad thing. of course it’s not too sweet for stella to enjoy first thing in the morning. i prefer to enjoy my banana zucchini chocolate bread with a cup of tea and a good book in the afternoon.