baked patatas bravas + tapas with Garnacha
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You know it’s going to be a good day when wine arrives in the mail. 5 bottles pretty much makes it a great day, and 5 bottles of Spanish Garnacha means not only is a great day, but tapas are in order.
Small bites of delicious food paired with wine is my idea of the perfect meal. Who needs a big meal especially if you are entertaining when you could be enjoying bread with manchego and apple slices, delicious marinated olives, spicy chorizo braised in red wine, and patatas bravas baked and not fried served with a spicy tomato sauce.
- 1 lb fingerling or gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- for the spicy tomato sauce -
- 1 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- heat oven to 450 degrees
- toss potatoes with oil, and season with salt
- bake on a well oiled or silpat lined rimmed baking sheet for 25 minutes
- while potatoes bake begin the sauce
- heat olive oil in a large skillet
- add onion and cook until translucent
- add garlic and cook another minute or two
- add tomatoes, red pepper, and paprika
- bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat, simmer while the potatoes cook
- the sauce should reduce and thicken
- serve patatas topped with sauce
Because Spanish Garnacha wines are diverse and range from dry to sweet, with reds, whites, and even rose (my personal fave in warmer weather) they are perfect for tapas. A wine for every dish, and something for everyone to enjoy. Garnacha’s versatility makes it ideal for any season and its price VERY affordable makes it perfect for any get-together.
Garnacha, like tapas, are meant to be shared with others; I may not have shared the manchego as nicely as I should have.
join wines of Garnacha in celebrating #Garnachaday on September 18, follow @SawyerSommelier for a twitter tasting on September 19, and share your own thoughts on Garnacha using #GarnachaDay