stovetop apple crisp
It seems that you are either a summer person or not.
I love to swim, and I would give just about anything to live near the ocean, but I am positively NOT a summer person.
I sunburn even with protection. The heat gives me a migraine, and sweating is just plain GROSS. Plus it seems that summer is all about being out and about. Visiting with friends, family, traveling, and camp-outs.
I enjoy hanging with friends, camping in small doses, and traveling, but to be honest I am a total homebody. I think that’s why I love fall and winter so much. Hopefully this is going to be a RAINY fall and winter, perfect for hibernating.
Really, I’m not antisocial, well maybe a little. I just love being home with my kids, all cozy in jammies, watching movies or playing games.
Today, it’s 106 degrees, and while I may be hiding inside my air conditioned house, it’s not quite the same. I am SO ready for fall and all things apple and pumpkin.
This stovetop apple crisp is easy to throw together, makes your kitchen smell like fall, and in case it’s 106 where you live too, you don’t even have to turn the oven on.
- crisp topping -
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts - I used pecans
- for the apple filling -
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- begin by making the crisp topping
- melt butter in a large skillet
- add the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts
- cook over medium heat, stirring often until the crisp turns golden brown
- set crisp aside, and wipe out skillet
- make the apple filling -
- melt butter in skillet
- add apples and cook over medium heat until they begin to soften - about 5 minutes
- add sugar cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
- cook until the apples are very tender - about 8 minutes
- stir in vanilla
- serve the apples warm topped with the reserved crisp
recipe adapted from Lighten Up Y'all
if you need me I’ll be enjoying my stovetop apple crisp sitting next to my air conditioner vent
apple dishes from friends –
you may also like