steak and eggs with tomato cauliflower rice + sun basket
It’s always right about this time of the year, we’re 2/3 of the way through the school year, schedules are tight, and I feel like I’m stuck in a major meal time rut.
Tacos on Tuesday, breakfast for dinner on Wednesday, and if time allows, pizza on Friday. The rest of the week is not any more exciting lately.
So I was really excited when Sun Basket reached out. In nutshell, Sun Basket makes healthy cooking as easy as 1,2,3.
1| Visit Sun Basket and choose 3 meals, for either 2,4, or 6 people (meals are less than $12/person)
2| Sun Basket delivers everything you need to prepare a delicious, healthy, organic meal (free delivery to CA, WA, CO, UT, OR, AZ, NV, & ID) – and your food arrives in an insulated box to ensure your meals stay fresh
3| Recipe cards and pre-measured ingredients make meal preparation fast, easy, and with no waste
Sun Basket even provides free return shipping so they can recycle the packaging materials for you.
I chose roasted salmon with green rice, pan roasted chicken with sweet potatoes, and steak and eggs with tomato cauliflower rice. Sun Basket even offers breakfast choices; I think I’ll try a few of those next time.
I was beyond surprised by how delicious all three meals were. Ian was so impressed, he wrote a review while we were still at the dinner table, seriously, he did that. Not only was each meal healthy and delicious, they were all ready in about 30 minutes. Perfect for any night of the week, no matter how busy.
We LOVED all three meals, but my favorite was the steak and eggs with tomato cauliflower rice. I’ve made it twice since our first box!
- 1 - 2 shallots
- 3 green onions
- 3/4 pound cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 sirloin steaks, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- peel and chop the shallot
- remove the root from the onions, and coarsely chop the green ends
- chop the cauliflower into small pieces (to resemble rice) - a few pulses in the food processor makes this fast and easy
- set a pot over medium heat, and warm 1 Tbsp oil until hot but not smoking
- add the shallots, and cook until they begin to soften (about 3 minutes)
- add the cauliflower and paprika, stir, and cook until the cauliflower starts to soften, add 1/4 cup water, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes - cook until the liquid has reduced, and the cauliflower is tender (about 8 minutes) season with salt and pepper
- while the "rice" cooks, warm 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- in a small heat proof bowl combine the green onions with maple syrup and a pinch of salt - pour oil over the green onions, stir and set aside
- in the same skillet used to warm the oil, cook the steaks (3-4 minutes per side)
- in a small pan, warm 2 tsp oil over medium heat
- crack the eggs into the pan, and season with salt and pepper
- cook until the whites are set, but the yolks are still runny (2-3 minutes)
- to serve - place cauliflower rice on plate, top with steak, egg, and garnish with the green-onion oil
gluten free, paleo
Sun Basket works with the West Coast’s best farms, ranchers, and fishermen to bring you fresh, seasonal, organic meals right to your door.
Make sure to enter to win 1 FREE week of Sun Basket organic meal delivery (3 meals, a $68.94 value)