simple whole wheat water crackers
you are only 4 ingredients and 20 minutes away
from the most delicious, simple to make, whole wheat water crackers
Sometimes it is the simplest of things that make us happy.
Days when the sun is shining and the windows are open.
A mason jar with fresh cut flowers.
A simple snack of cheese and crackers.
Our fridge and pantry can be close to empty, and yet if we have some cheese and a few crackers, we’re pretty happy. Cheese is something we will always have; usually more than we know what to do with.
Crackers are a different story. I buy them, and they tend to disappear almost instantly. Unfortunately, the kids, being almost perpetually in a hurry, grab a handful and go, most of the times without cheese. So we have poor lonely cheese with no cracker -mate in sight.
Problem solved with a few pantry staples –
whole wheat pastry flour
that’s all you need
You could get fancy and add nuts or seeds, but my kids prefer plain when it comes to their crackers.
The dough comes together in a food processor, and then you just roll, cut, and bake. How simple is that?
And they are amazing. I know I say it all t he time, but homemade is always, ALWAYS better, and my days of buying crackers are long gone.
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- pre-heat the oven to 425 F.
- line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper
- pulse flour and salt in a food processor
- add the oil and water
- pulse until the liquid has been incorporated
- roll dough into ball
- on a well floured surface roll dough as thin as possible for extra crispy crackers
- cut into shapes (or squares using a pizza cutter)
- carefully lift crackers onto lined baking sheet, and prick with a fork
- bake at 425 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes
- once cool, the crackers can be stored in an air tight container
recipe adapted from epicurious
trust me, after one try you’ll never go back to the box either.
snacks from friends –
you may also enjoy