one pot roasted vegetable mac and cheese
I originally shared this one pot roasted vegetable mac and cheese over at Lil Luna, but it was too good not to share here as well
Charlie decided that meatless Monday needed to be renamed mac and cheese Monday. Mac and cheese, as long as it is homemade, is one of the few meals we can all agree on. So now our week consists of mac and cheese Monday, taco Tuesday, and with football every Friday, pizza night has been moved to Thursday. Three nights of no kids complaining about what’s for dinner, I’ll take it.
But mac and cheese, no mater how delicious, can get boring. And now that the weather is getting a bit cooler finally, I have been roasting veggies nearly every night. Roasted vegetables may be one of my favorites, but they are definitely not the kids’ favorite, so I decided to add the two together. I figure how can the kids not eat their veggies when they are covered in all that cheesy goodness.
The beauty of this meal is that you can roast up whatever veggie odds and ends you have in the fridge. It’s all good. We use broccoli, zucchini, and tomatoes most often, but the kids love to add peas as well. If it were up to me I would load up on the brussels spouts, but I seem to be the only one in my house that feels that way.
The mac and cheese doesn’t get any easier. I start with my go-to one pot mac and cheese, stir in a little butter and cayenne, and add the roasted veggies right before serving. Easy, cheesy, and the kids eat their veggies with no complaints. Not a bad way to spend a Monday evening.
- for the vegetables
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 summer squash, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- for the mac and cheese -
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 3 cups of elbow macaroni
- 4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- heat oven to 400 degrees
- toss all of the vegetables with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes
- while the vegetables are roasting make the mac and cheese
- add the milk and macaroni in a saucepan
- bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the macaroni from sticking
- continue to cook until the pasta is tender, and the milk has thickened - this will take about 5 minutes
- remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and butter
- season with salt and cayenne pepper
- stir in the roasted vegetables, and serve hot
If your kids are anything like mine, getting them to eat more vegetables is less than easy, unless of course they are loaded in a bowl of this delicious and easy one pot roasted vegetable mac and cheese.