meyer lemon curd
when life gives you meyer lemons, make meyer lemon curd of course
It may only be early February, but the mild temperatures and sun we’ve been having (that is until today) may have given me a major case of spring fever. We spent all last weekend working hard in the yard getting it ready for planting.
Unfortunately, today it has been pouring most of the day. If that isn’t bad enough it is supposed to rain for the next 7 days. YUCK.
There’s nothing better than lemon to brighten a dark and dreary day. The lemon and blueberry loaf cake I made last week didn’t last long, and I have been craving more lemon goodness all week. With a bowl full of meyer lemons sitting on my table, I figured it was the perfect day to make lemon curd.
Meyer lemons are not as acidic, and definitely sweeter than standard lemons, so I reduced the amount of sugar I would normally use, and I probably could have used even less. But of course my kids think the sweeter the better.
Spoon it on toast or muffins, spread it on cookies, drizzle it on pancakes, how ever you use it, this meyer lemon curd is quite simply delicious.
meyer lemon curd
- zest from 3 meyer lemons
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 lb (1 stick ) of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup meyer lemon juice (from 5 lemons)
- pulse zest and sugar in a food processor until the zest isfinely ground into the sugar
- cream the butter, and then beat in the sugar/zest
- add the eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl after each addition
- add lemon juice and a dash of salt ( if using unsalted butter)
- pour into a large saucepan
- heat over med-low, stirring constantly until thick (about 10 minutes)
- remove the curd form the heat, pour into jars, and cool
- once cool, store the lemon curd in the refrigerator
Creaming the butter with the sugar/zest, and then blending in the eggs produces an incredible creamy, far less “curdled” lemon curd, even before cooking. I also think it makes the cooking process a bit less intimidating and less finicky. But I still recommend constant stirring while cooking the meyer lemon curd; no one wants lemon flavored scrambled eggs.
Just opening the fridge to see those happy little yellow jars puts a smile on my face, even if I have to be stuck inside all weekend.
you may also like