magic peppermint brownies
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We have been completely obsessed with all things chocolate and peppermint lately. It all started with the peppermint hot cocoa I made last week. I don’t even like chocolate, and hot cocoa always seems a bit too sweet for me, but this peppermint hot cocoa has me addicted.
And now we are pepper-minting all. the. chocolate. things.
I have had a recipe for magic custard cake bookmarked for ages. If you are not familiar with magic cakes, they are cakes made with one simple batter that when baked, creates three layers with a delicious custard in the middle. We aren’t a big cake family but that custard center always looks SO good.
Turns out you can do the same thing with brownies, and we are a brownie loving family.
One easy batter; three delicious layers.
Make sure to allow your brownies to chill for at least 2 hours before cutting; I let mine sit overnight, and they cut beautifully, and I am cutting challenged.
Topped with fresh whipped cream and peppermint candies, these magic peppermint brownies are just perfect for all your holiday entertaining.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 2 cups of milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- butter an 8 x 8 baking pan, and line with foil or parchment
- heat oven to 300 degrees
- beat egg yolks with sugar until pale
- add melted butter to yolks, and stir in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt
- slowly add milk and peppermint
- beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and then gently fold them into the batter
- cover the bottom of the pan with chocolate chips, and pour on batter
- bake brownies for 50 minutes
- chill brownies for at least 2 hours before cutting
- top with whipped cream
You may think your batter is too tin, but trust me these magic peppermint brownies bake up perfectly every time, just like magic 🙂
peppermint treats from friends –
you may also like