cinnamon and sugar coated pumpkin pretzel bites
soft, sweet, buttery goodness
these cinnamon and sugar pumpkin pretzel bites are the ultimate in snacking
I’m keeping it short and sweet today.
It’s Halloween, and any minute now my kids will be arriving with all of their friends in tow for an early Halloween party, before the trick or treating and the evening party to follow after that. I’m tired just thinking about it, in fact I may just go hide in my room with these pretzel bites and binge watch American Horror Story.
I LOVE Halloween, and I LOVE that this year it’s a Friday. Usually we rush the kids through trick or treating, throw down a quick candy laden dinner, into the shower and to bed so we can get up for school the next morning. It’s like waking the dead the morning after trick or treating.
But it is Halloween Friday this year, and we are in party mode; even if I need to nap first. Well nap and snack of course.
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1 envelop of active dry yeast (I use Red Star)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- for the topping -
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle the yeast and brown sugar on the warm water, and let rest 5 minutes
- combine the flour, cinnamon, and salt
- add the pumpkin and flour mixture to the yeast, and knead with the dough hook until you have a smooth ball
- cover and let rise until doubled about an hour
- bring a large pot of water to a boil, and once boiling add in 2 tbsp of baking soda
- punch down the dough and divide into 4 large pieces
- roll each into a long rope, cutting off small pieces
- drop pretzel bits into the boiling water - don't crowd the pot, you will need to boil them in batches
- boil for 30 - 60 seconds, drain and place them on a lined baking sheet
- bake pretzel bites at 425 degrees for 8 minutes
- toss pretzels in the melted butter and then the cinnamon and sugar
- the pretzels are best fresh,but can be kept in an airtight container or zip top bag for a few days