As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
So, I always knew my daughter was a fussy eater when it came to dinner, and sometimes lunch. I had no idea she was just as fussy when it came to dessert.
With a few extra days off this weekend, Stella took it upon herself to plan a wonderful family dinner. She was quite sneaky about it too. During the week, one at a time, she asked us each what we liked to eat, what our favorite dinner was, vegetable, and so on. Obviously she was taking notes, and planned the meal even including appetizers. (and in true blogger fashion, she took LOADS of pictures)
She sent Ian to the store, with instructions to buy what was on her list and then stop at the bakery for dessert. Something fruity for mom, and then chocolate for everyone else.
Not wanting to disappoint, he brought home fruit tarts, mini cheesecakes, chocolate mousse cups, and a cake. Stella didn’t like a single one!
So now I have a box full of half eaten treats, and a kid still wanting her chocolate dessert.
That last one is an easy fix. I always say if you want something done right, do it yourself, and that is very true when it comes to dessert.
With a box of brownie mix, a few pantry staples, berries, and a jug of TruMoo Stella and I created a dessert worthy of any special occasion, better than anything from the bakery, and we did it all in no time at all.
Our trifle starts with brownies; you can make them from scratch, but Stella was in dessert crisis mode, so we went with box I had stuck in the back of the cabinet. I don’t usually have oil other than olive in the house, unless I am frying beignets, so we subbed TruMoo Chocolate milk for the water and oil. This makes for a RICH and delicious brownie.
While the brownies are baking, make TruMoo chocolate pudding mousse. This is by far the easiest recipe ever; Stella did it 100% on her own.
Once both are cool, cut your brownies and begin layering. Since moving, I have yet to find my large trifle bowl, so we did individual trifles, which I actually liked a lot more.
Top the brownie trifle with some freshly whipped cream, and you are done!
Of course, if you are in desperate need of a chocolate fix, TruMoo is delicious hot all on its own.
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- 3/4 cup TruMoo Chocolate milk
- 2 eggs
- for the pudding layer -
- 2 1/2 cups TruMoo Chocolate Milk
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- for layering
- strawberries, hulled and sliced
- freshly whipped cream for topping
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- blend brownie mix with the chocolate milk and eggs
- pour into a 9x9 or 8x8 baking pan lined with foil
- bake brownies 40 - 45 minutes (for 9x9 pan or 45 - 50 minutes for an 8x8)
- allow brownies to cool on rack completely before cutting into small squares
- for the pudding-
- in a medium saucepan whisk together the chocolate milk, cornstarch, sugar and salt
- cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the pudding begins to thicken -( this will take 5 - 10 minutes)
- once thick, continue stirring for another minute or two, remove from the heat, and stir in vanilla
- allow pudding to cool
- once cool, fold whipped cream into the pudding
- into each jar layer pudding, then brownie, then berries, pudding, brownie, pudding and top with berries and fresh whipped cream
you will have brownies left over (which for us is never a problem) but if you prefer, double the recipe for the pudding mousse, and make 8 jars instead of 4.
TruMoo Chocolate Milk comes fresh from your local dairy, and its delicious chocolaty taste pairs perfectly with any warm drink or dessert recipe.
Thank you TruMoo for sponsoring this post! Try TruMoo in more delicious recipes this season! I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.