banana zucchini flax bread with chocolate + a giveaway
bake someones day with a loaf of this banana zucchini flax bread
time seems to be moving faster than ever. how is it that my baby is in high school? i have a niece that is old enough to move clear across the country following her dream job. i remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. another niece, the baby of the family, is gearing up for an incredibly busy dance season involving a good amount of travel.
as excited as i am for this stage in their lives, it has me feeling very sentimental. watching friends send their kids off to college, some to the same college i attended SO many years ago, i can only imagine how quiet the house will be when charlie and stella are gone.
so i’m practicing my care package skills. i remember how exciting care package day was at school. it was like christmas and birthdays all rolled into one. new magazines, rolls of quarters for laundry, home baked cookies and twizzlers were always popular in the dorms.
for my nieces i am sticking with home baked goods. cookies are a must and they don’t get much better than grandma’s peanut butter cookies studded with chocolate chips. i also happen to have a family full of chocolate lovers, so brownies are also in high demand; these made with Bob’s Red Mill almond flour are always a hit. what kind of aunt would i be if i didn’t include something at least a bit more nutritional, so i love packing up this banana zucchini flax bread which makes a terrific breakfast or anytime snack. because i want to be a good auntie, i add a fair amount of chocolate too.
banana zucchini flax bread with chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat flour (could also use Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour or Organic All Purpose Flour)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large or 3 small/medium very ripe bananas, well mashed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a standard loaf pan
- in a large bowl combine the flour, flax, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt
- in a separate bowl whisk together the banana,1/2 cup milk, egg, and vanilla
- pour wet ingredients over the dry and stir to combine
- fold in the zucchini, if the batter is too dry add remaining milk, and then fold in the chocolate chips
- spoon batter into the loaf pan
- bake 50-60 minutes until brown and the center should be set
- cool in pan 15 minutes, then move to a rack to complete cooking
- loaf needs to be completely cooled before wrapping
did you know that psychologists have found that baking for others makes the baker feel as good as the recipients? for me this is most definitely true. what better way to show how much you care for friends or family than by sending a care package full of your favorite homemade goodies, and when those goodies are made with Bob’s Red Mill flours which are milled from premium quality ingredients, you are giving your baked goods that extra touch of quality.
happy baking and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.